Lightweight and portable, laptops allow us to store and carry an entire workspace or office anywhere in the world. In a recent survey, carried out by Symantec, 78% of laptop users across Europe, Middle-East and Africa stated that the data on their device was of substantial value in terms of intellectual property or commercially sensitive information. Enticing pickings for thieves, opportunist or planned, data stored on the average laptop is estimated as being in the region of £550,000.
We hear news of lost or stolen laptops everyday and it can happen to you! Whether you work within the Government, NHS, Commercial, or Education Sector we are all at risk, would you want your laptop’s data to get into the hands of someone else?
Below are some useful tips to help you prevent laptop theft
1. Keep your belongings in sight when on the move and NEVER leave your laptop unattended.
2. Do not leave your laptop or valuables in a vehicle. If you must place it the boot, ensuring it is covered up and out of view.
3. NEVER leave a meeting or conference room without your laptop, take it with you, or it may not be there when you go back.
4. Lock your laptop in your office or work place out of hours. The Laptop Lockdown System™ or SOLO™ personal safe can be used to lock laptops securely away.
5. Introduce a sign-in system for visitors and do not let unaccompanied visitors into the building.